Mathematics 311, Sec. 501, Fall 2012
Last updated Mon 3 Dec 2012
SKIP PAST THE ANNOUNCEMENTS if you so desire.
._. (or to near the bottom)
- 3 Dec: Office hours during dead and exam weeks:
(subject to change)
- Monday 12/3: Regular office hour at 3:00, but I must leave at 3:45.
- Tuesday 12/4: Regular office hour at 3:00.
- Wednesday 12/5: I expect to be in the office in the afternoon,
- Thursday 12/6: I expect to be in the office in the afternoon,
- After that you probably don't care, but you can check my M. 412 page.
- 2 Dec: Yet another AMUSE
seminar (more student presentations, Tuesday).
- 26 Nov: This week's AMUSE
seminar (student presentations, Tuesday).
- 16 Nov: Help
session schedule around Thanksgiving.
- 16 Nov: The Caveat Emptor solution for Exercise 7.5.9 works in Firefox
but not, apparently, in Explorer. I made a .pdf version that
generates an error
message (in Firefox) but ought to be acceptable in any browser. The content of
the solution is not quite right, as I will explain next Wednesday (unless somebody
wants to gain class participation points by explaining it for me).
- 12 Nov: This week's AMUSE
- 8 Nov:Here is a solution to Exercise
5.4.25 of Leon and Colley in Homework 9. Also, solutions to the two exercises
from Sec. 5.5 of my book in that assignment are visible on the Chapter 5 pages of
Caveat Emptor. (There were problems with the links, but those have been fixed.)
- 2 Nov: Next week's AMUSE
- 31 Oct: Next week's
- 31 Oct: Homework that was due today will be collected on Friday. Don't
forget to bring it back. (If you haven't finished the assignment, don't give
- 28 Oct: Tuesday office hour (10/30) will end (and start) early
-- say 2:30-3:20.
- 25 Oct: Next week's AMUSE
- 22 Oct: This week's AMUSE
seminar [was] especially recommmended.
- 16 Oct: We finally have an index for Leon-Colley!
See below with the table of contents.
- 15 Oct: The hearing (below) was cancelled, so I will probably be in my
office 2:00-4:30 all this week except for these hours:
- 11 Oct: Office
hour trouble next week (Oct. 15 and 17).
- 7 Oct: Math
Club meeting TOMORROW, Monday, Oct. 8, 7:00 p.m., BLOC 117, on "Symmetry
and Infinity: The Banach-Tarski Paradox" ._._.
and also AMUSE seminar,
Tuesday, Oct.9, 5:30 p.m., BLOC 627, on "Representing the Mechanical
Behavior of Matter". (Click on the title to see a summary.)
- 19 Sep: Aggie Acturaries Club
meeting Thursday, 20 Sept.
- 28 Aug: There will be linear algebra
Sunday-Thursday, 6:00-8:00 p.m., BLOC 113. (Check the link for updates.)
- 27 Aug: Talk by
astronaut Greg Chamitoff this Thursday, 30 Aug.
Course procedures and resources
Course content by weeks:
- Vector spaces and linear functions
- Differentials (linear approximations)
- Linear independence and spanning
- Dimension theorems and coordinate systems
- Basis change; subspaces
- Kernels and ranges and superposition principles
- Implicit functions; inner products
- Orthogonality; divergence and curl
- Line and surface integrals
Back to beginning of list or top of
Things of tangential interest:
I have not yet checked that these links are still valid.
(In fact, most of them are not.)
Go to home pages:
Math Dept ._._.
Go back to weekly material or
top of page