All known misprints in the January 99
edition have been corrected.
Misprints in the August 1999 edition of "Linearity"
- Exercise 3.5.8, page 128: The numerator in the "Given" differential
equation is xy2 + 1 (not xy1 + 1).
- Exercise 6.1.9, page 244: The relevant exercise is 3.3.2, not 3.1.2.
- Page 250, text line 4 from bottom: The "easy to see" equation applies to
the perpendicular part of the vector, not the parallel part.
- Page 254, last line: The norm on the left should be squared.
- Page 268, lines 6 and 4 from bottom;
page 269, line 7 from top:
The integrand of the line integral is F . dx
(not F . x ).
Incidentally, in response to popular demand, in the published version
vector x will be changed to vector r whenever its components
are, or probably would be, named (x, y, z).
- Page 274, line 6 from bottom: Remove the factor 1/2 on the left. (Then
all members of the equation equal twice the antisymmetric part of the
- Page 288, line 11, and page 289, line 7: The lower limit of integration is -1, not 0.
- Page 308, line 5 from bottom: Remove the factor
sin(theta) from the cylinder formula.
- Page 311, Example 1, lines 10 and 4 from bottom:
36 (in two places) and 108 should be multiplied by pi.
- Exercise 7.6.17, page 342: n = 2 should be p = 2.
- Page 356, line 5: (U|E) should be (U|I).
- Page 365, line 6: The reference to Bowen and Wang in Sec. 5.4
disappeared in some earlier revision. The book is
R. M. Bowen and C.-C. Wang,
Introduction to Vectors and Tensors, Vol. 1 (Plenum,
1976); see Theorem 18.3.
A section on the history of linear algebra has been added
to the final preliminary edition (January 2000) as Sec. 8.3.
The published version will show some significant formatting
changes and a very few changes in content, notably in the
exercises in Sec. 8.1. You can view that version of
Last modified Mon 3 Jan 00