Mathematics 312, Fall, 2000
Course procedures and announcements: (in reverse chronological
- Final exam answer key (DVI)
- To get your grade directly, you must do ONE of the following:
NO PHONE CALLS OR PERSONAL VISITS, PLEASE.
- Provide a stamped, addressed envelope or postcard with your test.
- Put an e-mail address on your test.
- Send an e-mail request from (or directed to) an e-mail address that
is clearly yours.
- Homework solutions #11 (the last!) are at Notes-N-Quotes.
- Final office hour: Monday, Dec. 11, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Homework solutions #10 are at Notes-N-Quotes.
- Final review session: Thursday, Dec. 7, 7:00 p.m.
- Homework solutions #9 are at Notes-N-Quotes.
(This set includes the problems missing from #8.)
- Homework 11, due Monday, Dec. 4:
WARNING: HABERMAN USES theta TO MEAN phi AND phi TO MEAN theta!
Haberman 7.10.1(b), 7.10.2(b), 7.10.3(c), 7.10.9(a), 7.10.10(a), 7.10.12;
Test booklet 94F1 (see 98F1 for examples with answers)
- Test C answer key (DVI)
(PDF) (corrected Dec. 2004)
(There was an error in the first problem statement on the answer key
- Partial solutions for assignment #8 are at Notes-N-Quotes
(namely, 2.5.3, 7.7.1, 7.8.7).
- Homework solutions #7 are at Notes-N-Quotes.
- Homework 10, due Monday, Nov. 27:
Haberman 2.5.4, 5.9.3, 7.8.10
- Non-Fourier eigenvalue/eigenfunction demonstrations
- eigenvalues of a Robin Sturm-Liouville problem (input)
- Bessel functions and Fourier-Bessel series (input)
- Homework 9, due Friday, Nov. 17:
Haberman 7.8.2, 7.9.1(c), 7.9.3(a), 7.5.1, 7.5.2
- Homework solutions #6 are at Notes-N-Quotes.
- Math Club (MAA and Pi Mu Epsilon) meeting,
Monday, Nov. 6, 7:00 p.m., Blocker 627:
TIG Insurance (actuarial jobs), planning for high school math contest
(Nov. 18), free pizza.
- Homework 8, due Friday, Nov. 10:
Haberman 2.5.3, 2.5.8(c), 7.7.1, 7.7.3, 7.7.8, 7.8.7, 7.8.8
- Homework solutions #5 are at Notes-N-Quotes.
- Test B answer key (DVI)
- Homework 7, due Friday, Nov. 3:
Haberman 5.3.3, 5.3.9, 5.4.1, 5.4.6, 5.5.1(c), 5.5.2, 5.5.8, 5.8.5,
- Homework solutions #4 are at Notes-N-Quotes.
- Field trip to OTRC wave basin
Friday, Oct. 27, 3:15. There will be no homework assignment that week.
- I will miss the office hour Monday morning (Oct. 16). I expect to be
in my office Tuesday afternoon most of the time from 2:00 to 4:00.
- If you have the booklet of old tests, please bring it to class this
Friday, Oct. 13, so we can start reviewing examples for the next test.
- Solutions to Homeworks 2 and 3 are at Notes-N-Quotes.
- Click here for
Homework 5, due Friday, Oct. 13, and
Homework 6, due Friday, Oct. 20.
- Homework 4, due Friday, Oct. 6:
Haberman 7.3.1(d), 7.3.4(b), 7.4.1(b,c), 10.2.2, 10.3.3, 10.3.5,
10.3.6, 10.3.13, 10.4.8
- Office hour conflicts
- Thursday, Sept. 27: Office hour starts 3:30 at earliest.
(I will stay till 5:00.)
- Monday, Oct. 2: No morning office hour.
I will probably be in my office during the hour before class
- Thursday, Oct. 5: No office hour, because of Academic Convocation.
- Test A answer key (DVI)
- Solutions to Homework 1 are available at Notes-N-Quotes.
- Homework 3, due Friday, Sept. 29:
Haberman 2.2.3, 2.5.1(a,d), 2.5.2 [Hint: First read in
and also do Part (b) of
this exercise (from an old preliminary version of
[Hint: As in (a), you may assume that you know at least one solution
of the inhomogeneous PDE (without regard to boundary conditions).]
Advance warning: The Oct. 6 assignment will include
Haberman 7.3.1(d), 7.3.4(b), 7.4.1(b,c), in addition to some problems on
- Announcement for
Post-Baccalaureate Program for Secondary Teacher Certification:
Information session Tuesday, Sept. 26, 3:00 p.m., Rudder 402
(or call 845-8382 for information).
- Homework 2, due Friday, Sept. 22:
Haberman 2.4.2, 3.2.2(b,f), 3.3.1, 3.3.3(c), 2.4.1(a,b), 3.3.14, 3.3.16
- Fourier series demonstrations
- Putnam Contest announcement
- Homework 1, due Friday, Sept. 15:
Haberman 12.4.4, 12.3.6, 2.3.1(b), 2.3.2(d), 2.3.3(a,c), 2.3.6
- Wave equation demonstrations
(MathLily files are both
valid Mathematica files and valid TeX files.)
- Introducing d'Alembert's solution:
MathLily or PDF
- Wave reflection:
MathLily or PDF
The technical remarks about Mathematica interfaces in these two
documents are slightly out of date.
- Course handout (front side):
DVI or PDF
- Course schedule (back side of handout):
DVI or PDF
- Evans Harrell and James Herod,
Linear Methods of Applied Mathematics
Rough correlation between the Harrell-Herod syllabus and ours:
- Block 1: HH Chapters 7, 6, 8, 3, 4, 5, 1
- Block 2: Chapters 9, [nonexistent chapter on Fourier
transforms], 20, 13 (beginning only), fragments of (15, 16, 19)
- Block 3: Chapters 2, [nonexistent chapter on Sturm-Liouville
theory, 17 (fragments), 10
- Block 4: Chapters 11, 18
Go to home pages:
Math Dept ._._.
Last modified Fri 3 Dec 04